Thursday, September 2, 2010

Back to Moisture

I recently tried getting away from using my shealoe butter and using a couple of oils and other things to moisturize my hair and keep it from getting dry before the day is over.  The reason I wanted to stop using the shealoe butter was because my scalp was becoming really dry and itchy.

I started using Apple Cider Vinegar for acv rinsing and I started using Blue Magic - the one with Coconut Oil - as a sealant after I cowash with Hello Hydration.

I've decided that I really like using the Blue Magic on my scalp so that it doesn't get dry, and I also really like doing ACV rinses as well.  The ACV just makes my hair feel really soft and clean right after I use it.  I've been reading around on blogs and on the internet, and the reason that it works so well is because the conditioners and oils that we use on our hair are bases on the pH scale.  ACV is an acid with a pH closer to our hair's pH.  Therefore the ACV neutralizes the bases, getting the buildup out of your hair and it closes the pores on your hair temporarily, making your hair hold moisture better for longer.

So, this is my verdict.  I'll stick with using ACV.  I don't use it everyday, just when I feel a lot of buildup on my hair.  I like the way it makes my hair feel.  Also, I'll keep using the Blue Magic with coconut oil because I like the way it makes my scalp stop itching and keeps it feeling good.  One thing I WILL change is that I won't be using shealoe butter anymore, BUT I will be using shea butter.  I'm pretty sure my hair doesn't like aloe vera juice/gel.  lol also, I told my mom about it and she told me I've always been allergic to aloe.   -__-  thanks for telling me sooner, mom.

Anyway, I just ordered another pound of 100% raw unrefined shea butter so that I could just add some oils or something and whip that together.  In my opinion, even though I don't like the buildup you get from using it after a while, shea butter is really the best moisturizer for me.  And as for the buildup, I can now just do an ACV rinse, and I'll be good.

3 comments:

Jamila Reddy said...

A word of caution about Blue Magic: it's main ingredient is PETROLEUM, which is generally no good for our hair.

Check out these articles:

http://www.nappturality.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69:10-chemicals-to-avoid&catid=34:careinfo&Itemid=30

and

http://thankgodimnatural.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/reading-the-label-10-ingredients-to-avoid-when-shopping-for-%E2%80%9Cnatural%E2%80%9D-hair-products/

I stopped using petroleum based products and found that my hair was a lot softer, fluffier,and easier to manage.

Maybe the Blue Magic is what is causing buildup?? I love the smell of it, but you can get the same scent from a natural coconut oil. :)

Jamila Reddy said...

okay...so I just read the post BEFORE this one, and clearly the above comment was unwarranted.

Apologies.

:-/

Sarai said...

lol it's ok! I tried using the products and I've decided that they make my scalp stop itching for a few minutes or so, and then they just make it itch more in the long run. I've decided not to use them anymore. Thanks for the links!

Post a Comment